If you are sitting there staring at your screen unsure whether to press send, here is how I structured a guest recommendation (For Catherine Hoke from Defy Ventures) for the popular business podcast Entrepreneur On Fire:
- Step 1: Asked Cat if she wouldn’t mind me sending a recommendation to one of the podcasts I listen to.
I wasn’t particular at this point, as I hadn’t asked John yet —- and the upside was: in case John declined, I could have been able to keep looking for another podcast to recommend Cat)
- Step 2: After I got Cat’s okay, I sent John a short email
- Step 3: Upon receiving a reply from John requesting for an email Intro — I wrote up a draft to send Cat to comment on what I wrote.
- Step 4: Sent John the pitch after getting the okay from Cat
First off, I’ve never met Catherine, and our only contact has been through email (I sent her a note — which she appreciated, and that was our first contact). I did mention about putting her forward as a guest for EOF, and she said yes.
Her email is: [redacted for privacy] (I have cc-ed her in the email as well)
Some topics that would make her a memorable guest in EOF:
- When introducing her to Fire Nation you can use the words: “What if you were known for the worst thing you’ve ever did?”
- Sports background (she was on the wrestling team) – which links up well with what she does with Defy.
- She used to be a VC, and how she left that life for her ‘Aha Moment’ (giving inmates a better chance once they have served their sentences — by offering to teach them a way to run businesses.).
- How she ended up visiting her first prison (and how it changed her previous perception about those who are in the prison system)
- Her ability to raise support for Defy financially (not sure if it was one of Catherine’s talks or an article about Defy — that it is all privately funded). And her general ability to get other organisations involved as well.
- Her courage (How she was able to dust herself-off after taking a fall — The events between PEP and starting ‘Defy Ventures’)
Here’s a video I found on YouTube that has good quality (no need to turn up the volume that much), and features Catherine giving a talk about herself and her journey.
- Step 5: Just get out of the way! 🙂
As with any recommendation, the hope is for things to turn out as best it can. And this was no different! I was at the edge of my seat while listening to the episode for the first time (tension level: equivalent to when I watch those heart stopping scenes from Homeland).
Thankfully all went well (Whew!). So well that John and Cat gave me the go ahead to share my involvement with their introduction. 🙂
Keen to hear about how you structure your recommendations and introductions!
First time visiting? It’ll be great if you head here after reading. 🙂