Still on the fence whether you should sign up? Or resurrect your account (because when you tried using Twitter, it was just too much to bother investing time in)?
To leverage the time I spend on Twitter, I’ve set some guidelines for myself:
- Only follow individuals who share their first and last names on their profile.
- If someone follows me, I don’t need to follow back automatically. (Though I do usually follow back)
- Consider connecting with a person outside of Twitter (preferably via email), if they do not respond to (or struggle to keep track of) direct messages.
- Minimise Tweets, and focus more on direct messaging.
- No using external apps (particularly auto responders).
- Limit people I am following.
Of course, as with guidelines, they are a starting point — and don’t have to be set in stone. If there are times I think I have to deviate from it, having that specific guideline in mind just helps me give that action a second (or third!) thought.
Would love to hear how you make the most of your time on Twitter! Do you have guidelines too (even if they are just mental notes! I actually hadn’t written out my guidelines until this post!)? Use the comment section below or send me a message directly. 🙂